The market offers safe slippers for the elderly with balance problems that are non-slippery to prevent injuries and falls. Loss of balance, arthritis, swelling, and diabetes are the most common conditions that older adults struggle with as they age. These complications make it hard for them to wear regular shoes.
To feel comfortable all day and avoid falling, the elderly and seniors need safe slippers. You may wonder why they need good slippers and not any other type of shoes. Slippers are comfy and easy to wear and take off, unlike other dress shoes and sneakers. Besides, they are stylish additions to different clothing, so you need not worry about dull looks.
Slippers for the elderly are safe and ease discomfort regardless of the kind of pain and swelling on your feet.
Why Older Adults Need Special Slippers
Everyone finds slippers more comfortable, but there are special ones for older adults uniquely made to suit their needs. Their feet tend to go through a lot of changes with age and are usually more prone to swelling. Slippers for the elderly with balance problems are made to be extremely comfortable not to aggravate the pain in case the feet are swollen.
i) Slippers help prevent accidents
Research shows that most older adult’s injuries due to falling are often caused by wearing unsafe footwear. Athletic shoes, regular oxfords, and loafers are known to be the safest for the elderly since they are flatter. However, some are slippery and don’t have essential support features for those with balance problems.
ii) The slippers encourage older adults to take on different activities
Comfortable slippers tend to encourage older adults to walk around, thereby remaining active since they will not feel any pain in their legs.
Best Slippers for Elderly With Balance Problems
If you are short on time, watch this video on best slippers for the elderly with balance problems.
Here are some of the best slippers for elderly with balance problems:
#1. Acorn Women’s Boiled Wool Edelweiss Slipper for Elderly
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
The best slippers for older adults should feel super comfortable inside without making you slide on slippery floors or sweat. These Acorn Wool Edelweiss are ideal for those with swollen feet. Just like the name suggests, it’s made with a blend of wool, nylon, and polyester.
These comfortable slippers feature incredibly soft wool from sheep and feel great on the feet. It additionally features some hand-stitched detailing on the exterior thread and has a durable rubber sole. The slippers work perfectly well both indoors and outdoors.
- Long-lasting rubber sole for extra traction
- The soft wool lining is moisture-wicking
- Hand-stitched detailing
- Uppers boiled wool
- Cloud contour design
- It’s easy on and off slippers
- It features an incredibly soft wool lining to keep your feet comfortable and warm all-day
- The interior doesn’t cause sweating even in hot temperatures
- For stability, the slippers feature an additional arch support
- It’s perfect for outdoors and indoors alike
- You need to order a size up since the slippers have a snug fit
#2. Silvert’s Women Extra Wide Adjustable Slippers – Edema and Diabetic
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
Silvert’s Women Adjustable Slippers with Velcro closure are your best bet if your feet keep swelling for one reason or the other. They are perfect indoors slippers for the elderly struggling with diabetes and other foot conditions like corns, bunions, podiatry, and hammertoes since they are super comfortable and extra wide.
Silvert’s Women are the best slippers for elderly with balance problems since you don’t need to go up a size regardless of how swollen your feet get. The slippers are uniquely designed for swollen feet. They have a wider width and are spacious enough. Besides, you can also wear them outdoors.
- The fluffy and incredibly soft exterior
- The width is wide and adjustable
- It has a hoop and loop closure
- Non-slip skid-resistant sole
- Memory foam inner soles
The hoop and loop closure makes them easy on and off slippers for elderly with balance problems.
- It features an antibacterial element that helps prevent any odour
- The wide width accommodates all feet sizes
- They are skid-proof and safe for older adults with balance problems
- The interior is super comfortable
- The sole has excellent traction
- Some older adults with extra wide feet say that the slippers are not roomy enough
#3. Rock Dove Two-Tone Memory Foam Slippers for Elderly Men
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
Older men equally deserve comfortable and safe slippers for running errands and their day to day activities like lawn mowing, walking around, or checking the mailbox.
These Rock Dove Memory Foam Slippers features a breathable open back, made with 95% cotton with a comfortable slip-on design. They can be an excellent gift for older men with feet issues. The slippers are perfectly cushioned with a supportive insole and memory foam for ultimate support and comfort.
- Memory foam supportive cushioned insole
- Comfortable slip-on design
- Versatile anti-skid sole
- The comfortable slip-on design makes it easy to wear and take off perfect for older adults
- The slippers keep your feet super comfortable and warm all day long
- The slippers are machine washable
- The rubber soles have excellent traction making the slippers safe for the elderly with balance problems
- The insoles tend to contour and mould to the shape of your feet
- The slippers are well-cushioned to keep your feet super comfortable
- The stitches are done to perfection
#4. Git-Up Women Diabetic Slippers for Seniors with Edema and Arthritis
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
Git-Up Women Slippers works well for those struggling with swollen feet caused by plantar fasciitis, arthritis, and diabetes. The slippers are designed to keep your feet free from pain and super comfortable.
The slippers are well-made with top-quality knitting plush that is lightweight and moisture-wicking. The heel cap made anatomically to prevent skidding when walking.
- The rubber sole is waterproof to keep your feet warm and dry
- It comes with a warranty
- The Velcro closure is adjustable
- Open-toe design
- The slippers and lightweight and comfortable excellent for older adults with balance problems
- The slipper’s open toe design allows the feet to breath
- The Velcro closure allows you to tighten or loosen them for a secure fit
- These slippers for elderly with balance problems have anti-skid protection
- They mould to the shape of your feet and also have a snug fit
- Go a size down as the slippers tend to run wide
#5. Silvert’s Men Extra Wide Slippers with Adjustable Closure – Diabetic and Swollen Feet
SEE PRICE ON AMAZON
Silvert’s Extra Wide Slippers are uniquely made for older adults struggling with swollen feet. They are the best slippers for the elderly since they are wide enough and feature an adjustable closure to accommodate swollen feet comfortably. Besides, they are true to size, so you don’t need to order a size up.
Whether you have corns, oedema, hammertoes, bunions, or other feet conditions, you will find these slippers for elderly with balance problems super comfortable and supportive.
- Secure Velcro closure
- Memory Foam insole
- Extra-wide fit
- These slippers for the elderly are perfect for swollen feet and all other podiatry feet conditions
- The cushioned insoles are super comfortable
- The slippers feature an antibacterial element to prevent odour
- They are easy on and off slippers for elderly with balance problems
- These non-slip slippers are perfect for older adults
- The slippers adjust perfectly to the width of your foot
- The closing flaps are short hence don’t close too well when the feet are swollen
How to Choose the Best Slippers for Elderly with Balance Problems
Comfort is key when it comes to slippers for older adults. However, safety and other features listed below also play a significant role:
· Right Soles
Ensure you get slippers with the right sole since too soft and thick with no support are not flexible hence causes instability. The sole should have a great texture, flexibility, and depth, regardless of how comfortable the interior feels.
Older adults need easy on and off shoes as they have little back strength to bend over for too long or struggle with lacing up. Safe slippers for the elderly should have Velcro closure, especially for those dealing with arthritis and back pain.
Older adult’s feet are heavy even without having their shoes on due to loss of muscle strength and swelling. Therefore, their ideal shoes should be lightweight with a barely-there feel when worn. Bulky slippers tend to drag them backwards and can also cause tripping and falling.
· Right Fit
Ill-fitting slippers for the elderly will not serve their purpose no matter how comfortable and light they are. For women, if the slippers fit snugly, they will cause more swelling since it interferes with blood circulation to the legs.
Consequently, if the slippers are too loose, they can cause you to trip and fall or come off easily. After choosing shoes with adjustable closure, ensure they have a perfect fit in length and width.
Getting older adults safe slippers can make a significant difference in their lives. Ensure the shoes meet all the required safety standards such as adjustable Velcro closure, anti-slip soles, comfortable insoles, and should be spacious enough to accommodate swelling feet comfortably.